A number of studies on mindfulness indicate that even a few minutes of daily practice has many health benefits: it relaxes, improves concentration, reduces stress, strengthens contact with the body and autoregulates emotions, it teaches how to accept and be kind to oneself.
Mindfulness is about paying attention, about presence in its fullness. It is our innate ability to be fully aware of the present moment. It involves training to watch and notice physical sensations, emotions, thoughts and the external environment with curiosity and without judgment. Mindfulness exercises are the practice of concentrating and maintaining focus on one activity such as breathing, walking, eating.
Through the practice of mindfulness, we become familiar with our bodies, learn to accept their constant changeability and vitality moment by moment. The ability to focus attention on the body in stressful situations is a very useful skill, which allows to restore balance and well-being.
- It is not a religion.
- It does not require any special skills or knowledge.
- It is not a disciplining measure.
- It is not just keeping calm. It will not eliminate sadness and difficulties from life.
- It is not a panacea for everything.
- It is not the pursuit of non-thinking, or focusing on positive thinking.
- It is neither relaxation nor therapy.
- It is not about looking into oneself.
Definition according to Jon Kabat- Zinn
“Mindfulness means paying attention in a particular way: on purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally.”
- Jon Kabat- Zinn „Mindfulness for Beginners”
- Jon Kabat- Zinn „Whenever you go, there you are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life”
- Jon Kabat- Zinn „Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness”
- Jon Kabat- Zinn, John Teasdale, Mark Williams, Zindel Segal „The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness”
- Mark Williams, Dany Penman „Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World „
- Ronald D. Siegel „The Mindfulness Solution: Everyday Practices for Everyday Problems”
- Danny Penman, Vidyamala Burch „Mindfulness for Health”
- Thich Nhat Hanh „Mindful eating, Mindful Life”
- Thich Nhat Hanh „The Miracle of Mindfulness”
- Jack Kornfield „A path with heart”
- Jack Kornfield „The wise heart”
- Sharon Salzberg „The power of meditation”
- Saki Santorelli „The healing practice of mindfulness”
- Dan J. Siegel „The Developing mind: How Relationships and the Brain Interact to Shape Who We Are”
- Dan J. Siegel „Mindsight. The New Science of Personal Transformation”
- Rick Hanson „Hardwiring happiness”
Mindfulness for kids and teens:
- Eline Snel „Sitting still like a frog”
- Eline Snel „Breathe through This: Mindfulness for Parents of Teenagers”
- Goldie Hawn, Wendy Holden „10 Mindful Minutes: Giving Our Children–and Ourselves–the Social and Emotional Skills to Reduce Stress and Anxiety for Healthier, Happy Lives”
- Susan Keiser Greenland „The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate”
- Susan Kaiser Greenland „Mindful Games: Sharing Mindfulness and Meditation with Children, Teens, and Families”
- Dan J. Siegel Mary Hartzell „Parenting from the Inside Out: How a Deeper Self-Understanding Can Help You Raise Children Who Thrive”
Mindfulness in Education:
- Daniel Rechtschaffen „The way of Mindful Education”; 2014, wyd. W.W. Norton&Company
- Daniel Rechtschaffen „The Mindful Education Workbook ; 2014, wyd. W.W. Norton&Company
- Craig Hassed, Richard Chambers „Mindful Learning”; 2015, Shambala
- Christopher Willard „Child’s Mind: Mindfulness Practices to Help Our Children Be More Focused, Calm, and Relaxed”; 2010, Prallax Press
- Christopher Willard „Raising Resilience: The wisdom and science of happy families and thriving children”; 2017, Sounds True
- Christopher Willard „Growing Up Mindful: Essential Practices to Help Children, Teens, and Families Find Balance, Calm, and Resilience”; 2016 , Sounds True
- Christopher Willard, Amy Saltzman „Teaching Mindfulness Skills to Kids and Teens”; 2017, Guilford Press
- Thich Nhat Hanh „Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children” 2007, Prallax Press
- Amy Saltzman „A Still Quiet Place”, 2014, New Harbinger Publications
- Mitch R. Abblett PhD, Christopher Willard „Mindfulness for Teen Depression: A Workbook for Improving Your Mood” ;2016, New Harbinger Publications
- What is Mindfulness? – Jon Kabat Zinn UC Berkeley’s Greater Good Science Center
- Benefit for Mindful Schools: The Role of Mindfulness in Education – Jon Kabat Zinn UC Berkeley’s Greater Good Science Center
- Mindfulness and Neural Integration-Daniel Siegel na TEDxStudioCityED
- Transforming the Heart of Teaching Dr. Tish Jennings TEDxWashingtonSquare
- Daniel Rechtschaffen The Mindful Education
- Healhy Habits of Mind – Mindful Schools
Mindfulness in education – world-wide organizations: